Friday, March 11, 2016

I Like Sloppy Seconds

Ok first of all get your minds out of the gutter this blog post is about my love of used bookstores and especially used or "second hand" trade paperbacks or graphic novels.Paperbacks are collections of 3 or more issues of a comicbook series and Graphic novels are usefully a one shot story or mini series. Don't let the words "used books" scare you off I have yet to find a book that wasn't in almost perfect condition,no torn covers or missing pages.
Over the years I've found some great stuff if it was old stories I once read now collected in a trade,classic stories I never got around to reading or stories I've heard about from friends or someone talked about on a podcast. If you're a fan of the show The Walking Dead and want to check out the comicbook version it's alot less expensive and quicker to get the trades from a used bookstore instead of trying to pick up the individual issues. Luckily I've found some good ones like Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier, Frank Miller's Ronin and a few "outside the box" gems, Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky's Sex Criminals,Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba' James Jean's Umbrella Academy and the Luna brothers The Sword.
Now don't get me wrong I still buy individual issues of certain series but do yourself a favor and check out a used bookstore ,you might find someone's "sloppy seconds " that you like!
Until next time my friends stay geeky and hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment